The plan was to use the remainder of the striped fabric from these dresses to make the ruffles on the skirt. I made a very valid attempt, but those stripes drove me absolutely batty. First I cut the pieces out without placing them on the fold, so they weren't long enough. Then, I tried to cut out two more, figuring I would just have seams at center front and back. But, I cut them the wrong direction and no matter how I turned those rectangles, I could not get them to work together. Since I wanted them to match all along one tier, but be the opposite of the other tier, it made it more complicated than my brain could handle.
In the end, I bought more fabric and still have a seam at CF of the top tier and CB of the bottom one. They don't really show up in the pictures, but they are there.
I put buttonhole elastic in the waistband to make it adjustable - mostly to increase the potential of it fitting my (not quite as thin) younger daughter as a hand-me-down. The waistband is wider than the average jeans waistband and the belt loops don't reach the top of it. I like how it looks in the flat pictures above, but I think it looks a little awkward on the body. Perhaps wearing a belt with it would take care of that. I'm not too concerned since my daughter doesn't like to wear it with a tucked-in top.
The top is Burda 9549, used previously here and here. The fabric is leftover from these cardigans.
I wasn't so sure about the skirt when it was nearly finished. I burst out laughing when my daughter tried it on. It just seemed a little over the top and proportionally odd. But, she loved it and after doing the rest of the finishing work, I'm more happy with it. Apparently, it's more of a wiggling skirt than a twirling one. She can't seem to stop herself from shaking her little bum back and forth when she puts it on. :)