I had a piece of black wool in my stash that was too lightweight for pants. Using it for a skirt was an option, but that would have left a good sized remnant that would be too big to toss and too small to do much else with. Since it was lightweight and had some good drape, I thought it could work for culottes. Plus, stash fabric seems "free" to me, so if it was a total bust not much was lost.
There are quite a few patterns for culottes available now. The one I chose was Vogue 9091. I prefer a yoke to a regular waistband. Views A and B are considered culottes and View C is considered pants. I chose to make View C, but shortened it by five inches. I also added a lining, but those are the only real changes.
This is not a complicated pattern. The pleats are deep and getting the markings correct is important. The only fitting issue is really the yoke. There is plenty of ease in the rest of the pants. When I cut out the lining pieces, I folded out the pleats on the front so there would be less bulk.
The facing and lining are hand sewn down. I added twill tape to the waist seam so it won't stretch out.
The side seam pockets are a nice touch. Again, something I had not done in awhile - I prefer slash pockets in pants,