Skip to main content

Rollie Pollie

We celebrated my younger daughter's 8th birthday in January. Eight! Sometimes in my mind she still looks like this. One of the things she wanted for her birthday was a bean bag chair. Her brother got one for his birthday last year and she likes to use it whenever he isn't.

I used Dana's Rollie Pollie pattern to make a bean bag chair that was a bit more interesting than one I could purchase. This was not my first time using this pattern. I initially purchased it last spring and used it to make a bean bag chair for a school auction. We used fabric paint and put the students' hand prints on the cut pieces and then assembled it after they were dry. It was a good project and brought in more money than I was expecting.

Rollie Pollie

The pattern and instructions are both good. I'd suggest reading through all of the instructions before starting - some things seem a little out of order to me, but it's all there. The only real change I made was to put a zipper in the insert and in the cover (instructions only call for one in the cover). It's good to be able to remove the cover for washing, but bean bag chairs almost always compress/deflate over time and I wanted to be able to refill it.

Rollie Pollie

In the pattern instructions, Dana gives ideas for filling. I used these "beans" (the price has gone up since I ordered). I ordered two boxes of them, but we only used half of the second one. My daughter wanted a little more squish rather than more fullness.

Rollie Pollie

The pattern is basically like a large beach ball - two circles on the ends and the rest of the pieces (4) look like footballs with a bite out of each short end. Assembly is not difficult, but the pieces are large. It took me awhile to find any note about seam allowance. I don't remember where it ended up being in the instructions, but it is 1/2" throughout.

Rollie Pollie

One end has a handle - helpful for dragging it from one room to another or for swinging it at your brother (not that that ever happens here). I sandwiched a piece of fleece in this one to give it some heft. I offered to applique an initial on the other end, but my daughter wanted it plain. On the one I did for the auction, I appliqued the school logo on one of the circles.

Rollie Pollie

The pattern includes two sizes - this is the large one. It is pretty good size and quite a bit bigger than my son's that we bought. It really produces a nice bean bag chair, but this isn't an inexpensive project. There is a whole lot of fabric between the insert and the cover, plus two looooong zippers, and then the beans. However, if you want to customize it to a child's preference or match a certain decor this is a nice option.

Rollie Pollie
side-by-side comparison: happy, comfy kids

If you have the space and have a kid that likes to flop on the floor or likes soft, comfy spots (my daughter was often dragging pillows and blankets into my sewing room to make a "reading nest" while I was in there) I'd highly recommend this as a project!

Rollie Pollie

Comments

  1. Cute beanbag chair! Happy birthday to your precious girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery Bags

More gifts! These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric.  I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box. Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag.... 1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide. 2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag. 3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out. Happy shopping!

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me. I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year. The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full. Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of

The Burda Skirt Again

I'm not sure what prompted it, but awhile ago I decided that I needed a green skirt. The last time I was at Fabricland I saw this green wide-wale corduroy. I wasn't really looking for the skirt to be corduroy and the color was a little different than I was hoping for, but since I had my eyes peeled for awhile and hadn't seen anything better, I thought I'd try the corduroy. After looking for a suitable pattern, I settled on the Burda 2/2010 skirt that I've already used three times . Because of the weight and bulk of the corduroy, I didn't want to try to mess with too many details. I'll use another skirt pattern soon. Really, I will. One of the things I really like about this pattern is the pockets. This time I made the pocket facings and part of the pocket bag out of a cotton woven solid to reduce bulk. Since I'll be wearing this skirt with tights I added a lining. Adding the lining was really simple except that I cut the lining exactly the sam