I took my older daughter to the fabric store with me to help pick out fabric for spring dresses. I thought it would be a good time. In reality, I found it difficult and frustrating. We didn't like any of the same things. She liked shiny, expensive fabrics. I liked washable, discounted ones. She wanted as many bright colors as possible combined in one dress. I was picturing a more subdued look. You get the idea. In the end, (after establishing some limits) we went with the fabrics she chose and a pattern that I chose.
The pattern is McCall's 5966, without the sleeves. The bias-cut striped bands are applied like a facing toward the right side.
The dress is fully lined with white broadcloth. The print seemed rather summery to me, so I made the dresses sleeveless and also made cardigans for them to wear until it gets warmer.
I like that the cardigans break up some of the busyness of the print, but they also cover up the interesting part of the dresses. To make the cardigans, I modified Kwik Sew 2918 according to an article in Threads #108 about making twin sets from a T-shirt pattern. I do like the yellow flower buttons.
In the end, I have to say that I don't really like these dresses. My combination of the two fabrics isn't all that successful - maybe there needs to be more striped fabric or a solid mixed in or something else and I'm not sure. It seems that there is just too much of that main fabric. Also, I don't think that I chose the best pattern for the print my daughter chose. A more creative designer type could have made it work, but I find that sort of thing very challenging.
However, my daughters both love their dresses. They love to dress alike and they are thrilled with how they turned out. They've been dancing and twirling and deciding which of the flowers on the dress is their favorite. And clearly they feel beautiful. So, I guess that counts as success.