Sunday, February 28, 2010

Vogue 2793 - Tan Corduroy Jacket

I'm not really sure why it took me so long to finish this jacket.  I didn't find it all that inspiring even though I was pretty sure I would like the end result.  Anyway, here it is...

Vogue 2793

My thoughts about the beginning of the jacket and pattern pictures are posted here.  There are a lot of seams with a lot of topstitching on this jacket.  I used regular thread with the triple-straight stitch for the topstitching.  My machine doesn't really like heavy-duty thread so this seems like the best option for me.  Getting nice straight topstitching on the corduroy was difficult.  If I was stitching in the same direction as the wales, the stitching either "fell" into the troughs or looked very crooked and messy if I wasn't stitching exactly parallel to the wales.  If I was stitching across the wales, the presser foot tended to slide one way or the other with the nap.

Vogue 2793

The lining is a poly stretch satin that is pretty wild.  It might even be objectively ugly.  But, honestly, there's something about it that I like.  It's nice to be able to use linings to express my "wild side."

Vogue 2793

I love the way the buttons look but they were really frustrating to put on the jacket.  I used this tack style button on my jeans and had no problem at all putting it on.  These were a different brand and the nail/back part was much bigger than the hole in the button shank.  I had to pound on these buttons with a hammer as hard as I could.  A couple of the buttons are slightly bent, but not enough to be noticed by anyone but me.

Vogue 2793

The other problem with the buttons was that I needed 13 and only had 12.  I did not notice this until I was putting on the buttons.  I bought them at Fabricland when I started the jacket and now that they're going out of business, there are no more.  So, the sleeve plackets don't have buttons, but they do have buttonholes.  I didn't slice the buttonhole open yet because I wasn't sure if I would rip out the stitches, leave them in with no button, or try to find two "close enough" buttons for that spot.  When I wore the jacket, I did notice that the placket kind of gapes open and really should have a button.  I did buy some tack buttons in the same color, but they are smaller and have a different design.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Vogue 2793

It feels good to have this finished.  This project started as part of my plan to wear more layers for warmth.  With the corduroy and lining, this will be a warm jacket and will work well as outerwear in the fall.

7 comments:

  1. You did a great job. It fits you very well and the corduroy is a nice one. The topstitching looks great too!

    I have very similar buttons that you are more than welcome to have. The design on the buttons has the leave motif and stars. I would think that no one would really notice that they were not all the same design :)
    Just let me know, I can always send you a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks RTW! (Better, actually)
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute jacket! I'm really wanting to sew something in corduroy. Maybe a jacket is just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great jacket. It's almost a copy of one I made years ago. I loved it so much and wore it until there were holes in it. I hope you enjoy wearing this jacket just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your jacket looks great! I think you're too hard on yourself. The length is great; I'm tall too so can empathize. The topstitching looks very professional and I love the color and texture of the corduroy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is a nice jacket. I have that pattern. I will have to dig it out and give it a try. Again very well done and I love the lining!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this jacket and the lining I am getting ready to make a corduroy jacket and my pattern has no lining but I want to line it but I am not sure how to do it

    ReplyDelete