Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 - How'd I Do?

I wrote down these sewing goals for myself at the beginning of 2009, but never published them as I started this blog later in January.  Here they are...

1.  Less yardage in than yardage out. Ideally, sew two pieces from stash for every one purchased.

Well, I wrote that before I knew I was going to NYC.  Purchasing nearly 50 yards of fabric there made it pretty hard to accomplish this goal!  But, after checking my totals, I was surprised that the in/out numbers weren't farther from each other.  I should note that I do a lot of rounding with my tracking, so these can't be considered much more than estimates.  For 2009 - Fabric In:  90 yards; Fabric out:  84 yards.

2.  Make a great white shirt.

I didn't do this.  I bought fabric in NYC and used a pattern candidate for a different shirt, but never got around to actually making the white one.  I do have a white button-down shirt in my closet, but it isn't a great fit.  I'm not sure I would wear it a lot even if it were, so this doesn't seem like a real pressing need to me.  But, I think I'll still forward this on to 2010's goals.

3.  Make a TNT pencil skirt pattern.

I didn't do this, either.  I don't think I really need a TNT pencil skirt pattern right now, so I think I'll just let this one go.

4.  Number of completed projects/garments: 50+

I didn't do a very good job of recording this after mid-October or so of this year, so I consider this to be a ballpark-type figure, too.  The number I do have recorded is 75.  That doesn't include small bags or baskets, but it does include a lot of other easy things like T-shirts and underwear.  I guess that averages to just under 1.5 things per week.  Not too bad.

5.  Write 20 new pattern reviews.

I wrote 21 reviews on PatternReview.com.  This surprised me.  Before I checked the site, I was pretty sure I had not done that many.  I reuse the same patterns a lot, so it was my goal to try some new ones.  Maybe I need to up the number for next year if it felt like I was still always using the same ones.

6.  Try Ottobre or BWOF magazine patterns.

Technically, I accomplished this goal, but just barely.  I made my daughter a hat from a Burda magazine.  I picked up the April 2009 issue while in NY, so my only choices are from that issue.  I do have plans to make a skirt from that issue, but haven't yet.  I would like to try Ottobre, also.  I love the clothes other people are making for their kids from Ottobre.  I guess I'll roll this one over into 2010, also.

7.  Participate in at least one contest.

I think the fair counts for this one.  It would be fun to participate in an online contest or sew-along.  I haven't done that before.

8.  Master the sleeve placket.

I did this (here, here, and here) and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I'm glad I have this technique in my bag of tricks now.

9.  Start a blog?

Yup.  Check.  So glad I did.  I enjoy blogging and just as I suspected, I think it has helped me be better at my craft.  I have been astonished at how many people do actually read my blog and I've got to admit - I love it!  I love getting your comments and feedback.  Thanks so much for stopping by and for helping me make 2009 the best sewing year yet!

Bring on 2010!

4 comments:

  1. Great job accomplishing your goals! I love reading your blog - you inspire me to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did really well accomplishing your goals!

    I've enjoyed stopping in and and may 2010 continue to be a great sewing year for you.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow your blog almost daily...I really like the things that you sew !
    Have a great 2010 sewing year !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog's a fun inspiration stop. :)

    Good luck with 2010 goals; nice job on 2009

    ReplyDelete