Such is the case with these denim shorts. My summer wardrobe was in need of another pair of shorts and I knew denim would work well. An attempt to buy a ready-to-wear pair turned out to be a waste of time and a somewhat demoralizing experience. Why did I even bother with that when I have a tried-and-true pattern in my stash? I thought I was short on time and I had only used the pattern with stretch fabrics. I knew I didn't have any stretch denim. The summer was nearly over when I started these, so I figured I'd try out the pattern with a non-stretch denim remnant that I had in stash (leftover from this skirt). A data collecting project, if you will. If it worked - great, I'd have a new pair of shorts. If it didn't work - not much of value was lost and I would have learned more about the pattern and fit.
These stretch a wee bit with wear, just like traditional jeans do, but the fit remains the same. No droopy seat or slouchy waistband. I don't have much new to say about them since they're the same pattern as these pants and these shorts.
There are a couple of flaws in the fabric across the back. They stand out here more than they do in real life because of the light. I did know the flaws were there, but couldn't work around it. I used all the fabric I had left. Since it was initially just a data collecting project, I didn't worry about it too much.
There is a bit of pulling and poofing between the waistband and the crotch. It isn't significant, but I might work on tweaking that before I use the pattern again. I think the waistband is too small for the front pieces, but I haven't thought much about how exactly to fix it.
So, this is me, feeling subversive...thwarting mall trends and sizing standards...stickin' it to the man...as much like a superhero as I'll ever be...