Item No. 3 in the Coordinated Christmas Clothing series is a vest for my son. While my girls have often had matching dresses, this is the first time he has been included. When I asked him if he would like to match the girls he was pretty excited about it.
The shirt and pants were hand-me-downs from another family. For the vest, I used Burda 9990 - a good pattern for both the pants and the vest. The front has welts (but no pockets) and the back has darts with a belt.
I underlined the front of the vest with a lightweight cotton because the glen plaid is fairly loosely woven and I thought some more structure would help. There are supposed to be four buttons on the front, but I only had three of the same and didn't want to buy more.
I also made the black tie. It is completely opposite of everything these ties tried to be. This one is made from a crafty-type tutorial (as opposed to in-depth instructions from an expert). This one is cut on the straight grain to save fabric (as opposed to the bias like real ties are). This one has an elastic band around the neck and doesn't even tie in a real knot. The tail end of the tie is square and raw. The back is whipstitched closed. I could go on. But, I do have to say that it looks pretty good, all things considered. I spent as much time on it as it was worth and I'm satisfied with it. I combined these instructions with this pattern (because I couldn't get the pattern for the first one to print).
A skirt for me will be the fourth and final item, but I probably won't have pictures for a few days yet.