Excuse the funny shadows. And the funny hair. You'd think after waiting 8 months, I'd get it right...
The problem with blogging long after creating is that it's hard to remember what I did or changed. I do know that I'm happy with the fit of the vest, particularly across the back.
The construction seems sound, too. I think I used cotton batiste to underline the tweed fabric. It isn't a very high-quality fabric and the loose weave needed a little more support. The inside is completely lined.
I didn't realize until looking at it now that this is a good picture of my slipstitching along the lining sideseam. That wasn't my intention. :)
The buttonholes are each stitched twice. I often use this technique on jackets or other items that can support it. Stitch the first pass with the buttonhole setting at a low density. Then slice the buttonhole open and stitch over it again with a high density zigzag. It goes a long way toward preventing the little whiskers that can show up in the inside of the buttonhole.
The pattern is Simplicity 2556, a Project Runway pattern. I always find these pattern envelopes hard to read - both the yardage requirements and the technical drawings. I think there's usually just too many options for me to sort through. In this case, I saw someone else make up this view of the pattern and I wanted my own. I entered this vest in the fair for judging and it won a first prize.
The shirt I'm wearing in the photos above is blogged about here (it also won a first prize at the fair!) and the skirt here. I'm not sure these are the best compliments for the vest. I'll have to play around with it a little. But, it is fun to wear an all me-made outfit from time to time.