Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Going Once...

Just like last year at this time, I was asked to donate something for a charity auction at the school my children attend. I used this pattern to make a set of placemats.

Auction Items

The background fabric is a sand-colored linen. I bought five yards of it a few years ago when I happened upon a fabric store that was going out of business while on vacation. I've been using pieces of it here and there - never really a big chunk at a time - and now I've got about a half of a yard left. I'll be sad when it's all gone.

The backside is a clamshell printed quilting cotton.

Auction Items

The binding is finished by hand (took a long time, but looks really nice) and the vertical quilting lines are about  3/8" apart - pretty dense. These two factors multiplied over six placemats meant that they weren't finished as quickly as the "so simple and easy" endorsement on the pattern had me expecting. But, I'm really happy with how they turned out. The extra effort was worth it.

Auction Items

I put four horizontal lines of quilting in the yellow stripe - each 1/4" apart. (Sorry about the blurry photo). I think the pattern designer may have intended the quilting to be a little more "organic," but I do love me a nice straight line.

Auction Items

After the placemats, I made six cloth napkins and a liner for a breadbasket to match.

Auction Items

The photo makes it look like the basket has no depth - not the case in real life. The photo below is a little better.

Auction Items

Next up: Owl Pillows. Hoot!

5 comments:

  1. What lovely place mats. They are wonderful. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful placemats! They match my kitchen perfectly. Oh, what I would've given to have those:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very stylish placemats! They should bring in a nice donation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful placemats and napkins. The quilting lines were wwll worth your effort. The effect is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete