Skip to main content

Ta-da!

The wine sleeve turned out pretty well, I think.



Thoughts about how to do this have been rolling around in my head for a couple of weeks and in the end, I was pretty pleased with how it came together.  The "suit sleeve" is repurposed: I cut it off the jacket and took in the underarm seam so it was a snug fit on the bottle.  The "shirt sleeve" is made for the bottle.  I did look at dress shirts in second-hand stores, but the cuffs show wear and dirt and it would be hard to alter it to be the right size and still look good.  You can't really see the cuff very well in the photo because of the sun - oops.

The bottom of the suit sleeve is wider than the top and it is longer than the shirt sleeve.  To get the slouchy look at the bottom, I gathered the bottom of the suit sleeve and sewed it to a circle the same size as the shirt sleeve bottom.  I sewed the two bottoms together in the seam allowances.



This project was requested by the shop owner (I think I'll call her "S" from now on) that I sew some other things for.  I showed it to her yesterday and she was really excited about it and wants a few more (and some Christmas stockings, but we'll save that for another time).  I'll write up better instructions with construction photos when I do the next one - as much for my own reference as anyone else's.  (But feel free to use them if you want).  I've been surprised how often I look things up on my own blog.  It's been helpful when I can't remember how I did something - which is much too often.

I also brought my other samples to the second shop owner (she'll be known as "M" from now on).  She liked the tea towels, but didn't know how many would sell as the final price would be $18.00.  But, she would like me to make four (two with a Christmas theme and two other) and see how it goes.  That sounded good to me.  The terry cloth soap bag seemed like a better option to her, but she said she would be willing to have some of the knitted ones out if I would like her to.  I think I'll just do the terry ones.  She seems like another great person to work with and I'm pretty excited about these possibilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me.

I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year.


The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full.


Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of the handl…

Grocery Bags

More gifts!



These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric. 



I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box.

Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag....

1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide.



2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag.



3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out.









Happy shopping!

Christmas Table Runner

S asked me to make a Christmas table runner for her shop. Her only suggestions about what it should look like were "not too fussy or busy."

I decided on a simple applique of three trees on a linen background. The runner is 60" long and 13" wide.


For the trees, I used a lightweight fusible product and then straight-stitched around the edges. I like the raw-edge applique look, but don't use it very often.


The border and backing is an apple green color that didn't photograph well. I was happy with the mitered corners, but they don't look so good (a little lumpy) in the pictures. I do really like the narrow folded border inside the green one. I only had a small amount of the striped fabric, but think this was a good way to use it.



I was so happy with this when I finished it a couple of weeks ago, but now that I'm looking at the pictures, I'm less than thrilled. I'm really hoping that it is just the pictures, but it looks wrinkly and rumpled to me…