Monday, September 14, 2015

McCall's 7094 - Green Rayon Blouse

I don't like the word "blouse." I don't like the way it sounds or looks. The word doesn't have very attractive connotations in my mind. I don't know why. Anyway, I think what I have here is a blouse. Or maybe it's a blouse-y tunic. Whatever it is, I'm not sure it's a keeper.

This is McCall's 7094. I made it once before in silk, seen here. I thought it would look better as a tunic worn over slim pants rather than tucked into trouser-style pants. I loved the green color of this rayon challis (more emerald than it looks in the photos) and thought it would be a good match.

McCall's 7094

I had removed much of the fullness of the back with the first version and I think that came out well. But, the front is still just too full and ...blouse-y. A side view photo would be helpful here, but we didn't get one of those. I want to like this style, but this pattern isn't what I wanted it to be. I retired it after this project.

McCall's 7094

A few more pattern notes that may be helpful: the notched neckline is really nice, but fussy to make look good. I thought the second time around would be easier, but it wasn't really. The long version of this top is quite long. I am 5'9" and I trimmed off 2.5" from the front. When I was trying it on, it looked and felt like the front was longer than the back - perhaps because of the extra fullness in the front. It felt too much like a nightshirt as designed.

This shirt hasn't hit the donation pile yet. I'm wondering if I just need to try some other styling possibilities. Maybe with a jacket over it to control some of the volume?

5 comments:

  1. I like it and it looks nice on you! Could it be that you're just not used to wearing this looser style top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like it. It looks very nice on you and is perfect for your slim pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color on you! And it looks great with the pants you are wearing. Could you switch it up by wearing a belt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sewing and that style is very fashionable and chic! I'm in the same boat as you though....I am used to wearing more fitted garments and when I personally wear a looser style I'm just not sure if I like it. LOL Crazy isn't it...because when I look at you and your outfit I think...wow...that's beautiful! I have that pattern to sew up as well....thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually think the top looks very nice on you with slim pants. If you really think it's too loose, perhaps a skinny belt loosely belted around the waist would help?

    ReplyDelete