Sunday, March 29, 2015

Wool Trousers, Part 2

I made this pair very shortly after the first version, with only a couple of changes to the pattern. I took out some height at the CB (I don't remember exactly how much), tapering to nothing at the side seams. I also changed the size of the pocket bags. I'm happier with this pair, but still need some more changes.


Half grimace, half smile. It was so cold and windy. I thought outdoor pictures would be better, but the sun was so bright (not complaining!) that it makes it hard to see any details.


The fabric is a black and blue loosely woven wool. From anywhere but up close, it looks like a very dark navy. It is the same fabric used in the Lisette moto jacket sew-along. I think I used what would be considered the "wrong" side of the fabric, but I liked it better.


Other than the fact that it frayed pretty quickly, the fabric was easy to work with. Most of the pattern details are the same as the last pair. The fabric pressed well and the finished pants are smooth despite the puffy look here.


I added a lining to these for warmth and coverage and because the wool was just slightly itchy. When I was doing the fly I wasn't really thinking about the lining, so that finish is a little dodgy, but in the end it works. These instructions from Threads Magazine were helpful with the lining.


Thanks to the wind, these pictures didn't turn out to be all that helpful for fitting purposes. It is clear to me that some more adjustments are needed under the seat. The adjustment below the waistband didn't turn out to affect the leg as much as I thought it would.


I did make a flat seat adjustment on the pattern, but haven't cut out the next pair. We're on Spring Break this week and I'm hoping to log some time in the sewing room, so maybe I'll get a start on it.

2 comments:

  1. The construction on your pants is impressive! Other than the wrinkles under the seat, the fit is great too.

    ReplyDelete