Skip to main content

Pajama Pants

Shortly before Christmas, I made all three kids some new pajamas. Then I made them each a set as a Christmas gift and my mom gave them each new pajamas, too! Pajama overload perhaps, but it was really a good thing. Even The Preacher got new pajamas. The ability of good pajamas to bring comfort and joy is not to be underestimated. My pajama drawer and I were feeling left out.

Finally last week I was able to remedy that. I do not enjoy the bunching up around the legs that happens with traditional pajama pants. I had been wearing leggings and tunics as pajamas for awhile and that worked well. Last fall I made a pair of sweatpants (track pants? lounge pants? I don't know exactly what they are...) using Ottobre 5/2011 #5 and I really liked them.


Combined with the plentiful race T-shirts I have, they would be great as pajamas - comfy, stretchy, and tapered at the ankle so they don't bunch up.


I bought two pieces of cotton interlock from JoAnn's and made them assembly-line style. Most of the sewing was done on my serger (Babylock Evolution - loooove that thing) using the three-thread coverstitch and two-thread flatlock. I prefer the contrast of the gray on the navy to the blending on the gray pair.


The hem has a slit in the inseam. I sewed the inseam on my sewing machine to make finishing the slit easier. I like this touch - it allows for extra length comfortably.


This pattern fit me exactly how I'd like it to without any tweaking. Even the length was perfect! I left off the drawstring and I put the elastic all the way around the waist, as opposed to just 3/4, which leaves the front smooth. If these were going to be out-and-about pants (and they certainly could - they are very similar to the Hudson pants and the Anima pants. Very current and stylish, but not the look for me right now) I would include those features, but they're pajama pants so we're keeping it simple.

I'm so happy with these. They meet a real need and the fact that I really like them is a wonderful bonus. The weather here is still so cold and bleak (but hope is on the horizon!) - a little comfort and joy from pajamas is totally welcome.


Comments

  1. I too love comfy pj's. These look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO glad you're back! I've missed you! Your blog is one of my very favorite ones because it's so real and you sew things so very similar to me. You inspire me BIG time!!! Isn't Ottobre awesome?!?!?!

    Love your comfy pants - they look wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so comfy and cozy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! Love the contrast top coverstitch! So rtw! I was thinking of using that pattern for comfy lounge shorts! Such a cute style!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery Bags

More gifts! These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric.  I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box. Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag.... 1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide. 2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag. 3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out. Happy shopping!

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me. I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year. The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full. Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of

The Burda Skirt Again

I'm not sure what prompted it, but awhile ago I decided that I needed a green skirt. The last time I was at Fabricland I saw this green wide-wale corduroy. I wasn't really looking for the skirt to be corduroy and the color was a little different than I was hoping for, but since I had my eyes peeled for awhile and hadn't seen anything better, I thought I'd try the corduroy. After looking for a suitable pattern, I settled on the Burda 2/2010 skirt that I've already used three times . Because of the weight and bulk of the corduroy, I didn't want to try to mess with too many details. I'll use another skirt pattern soon. Really, I will. One of the things I really like about this pattern is the pockets. This time I made the pocket facings and part of the pocket bag out of a cotton woven solid to reduce bulk. Since I'll be wearing this skirt with tights I added a lining. Adding the lining was really simple except that I cut the lining exactly the sam