Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Oliver + S Music Class Blouse and Ottobre 3/2012 #38 Trousers

My older daughter does not always sit appropriately when she wears a skirt or dress. She doesn't loooove skirts and dresses like my younger daughter does, so when she wears one, it's usually to church or another setting with a dressy/formal feel. To say that she does not appreciate my reminders to sit appropriately is quite an understatement. When it was time to make her new Easter duds, I gave her some choices. I told her I didn't want to continue on with the reminder/scowl exchanges anymore so she could have a new dress if she would sit appropriately or she could have pants. To my surprise, she chose pants. And I think it was a good choice!


I wanted to only work with stash fabric, so we came up with this combination. The blouse/jacket (pattern: Oliver + S Music Class Blouse) is one of those notorious linen-look fabrics with an all-over embroidery pattern including a scalloped border. The photos aren't great, so you can't see the texture of the embroidery.


Without thinking about the overall plan first, I matched the print across the center front and then just barely had enough to cut out the back along the border edge. To make it work, I left off the gathers at center back and the scallops at the side seams don't come close to matching.


I did pay some attention to placement of the flower motifs, trying to avoid having them in seams. Because of their bulk, they wouldn't allow for a flat seam. I also determined the button placement based on the flowers. There was no way I was going to try to put a buttonhole through one of those flowers. That means the bottom button is pretty low and looks a little odd, but I'm okay with it.


I modified the long sleeve to make it a 3/4 length bell shaped sleeve with a cuff. The cuff was a happy accident - my original mod was too long. The other significant change from the pattern was that I added a full lining. This fabric is a bit coarse and the embroidery adds to that so it wouldn't have felt great against the skin. This was a pretty easy modification to make and it really adds to the wearing enjoyment for my daughter.

The pants are also a linen-look fabric - white, with a black pinstripe (that doesn't want to show up in the photos). I debated about lining these also, for the sake of opacity but decided they were okay enough as is. The fabric isn't very thin. I did use a beige lining fabric for the pocket linings to prevent show through there.


The pattern is Ottobre 3/2012 #38 - a pair of boys' narrow leg trousers. I added quite a bit of width at the hem, but wish that I had added more. I was hoping for a real wide-leg look. Apparently, the original pattern has very narrow legs. I'm happy with the fit otherwise. Deciding on the length did give me pause. I would like them to fit for awhile, but I don't think white pant hems dragging on the ground would be good.


My daughter has gotten so many compliments on this outfit, including women saying they'd like one just like it. It did take longer to make than a dress would have, but it's unique and suits my daughter well. It's a winner!

3 comments:

  1. What a cute outfit! She looks very grown up and sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that outfit ticks all the boxes - so pretty but your daughter is happy and comfortable in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It' s a very pretty outfit. It looks wonderful on her.

    ReplyDelete