Skip to main content

Navy and White for Spring

Today was a beautiful warm, sunny day - just how I imagined late May would feel back in March when I was sewing these pieces. This year I intentionally sewed spring/summer clothes for my kids ahead of the season. So, I have a number of things to post, but will likely not have too much to say about them (March was a long time ago!).

These cropped pants were supposed to be for my older daughter, but they turned out much too small. Happily, they were just the right size for my younger daughter.


The pattern is Ottobre 4/2013 #16 and I used an "engineer" stripe cotton (leftover from these pants). I played with the front pockets a little - cutting them on the bias and inserting a strip of rickrack. I like the small feminine touch it adds.


Most of the waistbands I've finished lately have included bias tape. I think it is less bulky and the pop of color and clean finish are fun. The waistband closes with a button, chosen by my daughter. The snap on these jeans frustrates her, so she wanted to try a button instead. I made a generous shank, hoping that makes it user-friendly.


The back has a traditional yoke and patch pockets. The waistband fits without elastic added, but I can't remember if it is drafted with a slight curve or if I modified it for that.


The top to go with it is also an Ottobre pattern, 1/2014 #28. This is a very easy pattern with short cut-on sleeves. Bands finish the neck and armholes.


The daisy applique across the side seam is the result of me being inspired by Boden. I like their designs and usually check out their offerings at the beginning of each season. My daughter wasn't so sure it was a good look ("why isn't it all on the front so everyone can see it better?").


I'm really happy with both of these pieces. And everything came from stash - yay!




I'm hoping for lots more of these wonderful spring days!

Comments

  1. Very, very cute (your daughter and the outfit)! You used very nice finishing details. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me.

I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year.


The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full.


Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of the handl…

Grocery Bags

More gifts!



These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric. 



I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box.

Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag....

1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide.



2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag.



3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out.









Happy shopping!

Christmas Table Runner

S asked me to make a Christmas table runner for her shop. Her only suggestions about what it should look like were "not too fussy or busy."

I decided on a simple applique of three trees on a linen background. The runner is 60" long and 13" wide.


For the trees, I used a lightweight fusible product and then straight-stitched around the edges. I like the raw-edge applique look, but don't use it very often.


The border and backing is an apple green color that didn't photograph well. I was happy with the mitered corners, but they don't look so good (a little lumpy) in the pictures. I do really like the narrow folded border inside the green one. I only had a small amount of the striped fabric, but think this was a good way to use it.



I was so happy with this when I finished it a couple of weeks ago, but now that I'm looking at the pictures, I'm less than thrilled. I'm really hoping that it is just the pictures, but it looks wrinkly and rumpled to me…