The fabric for my older daughter’s dress was the inspiration for this coordination effort. I picked it up for a great price at the end of the summer last year. I had the fabrics for my son’s clothes already in my stash. I knew that I wanted to use some sort of bold stripe for my younger daughter’s dress (initially inspired by this one) but it took me awhile to decide on exactly how to make it work.
After some more searching and perusing, I came across this dress and thought it was perfect. Of course, I didn’t have a pattern exactly like that and looked for one that would get me close. Last year I was so happy with New Look 6089 so I decided to work with that one again.
The biggest change to the pattern was the cut-away shoulders and it wasn’t as hard to do as I thought it would be. If I were to do it again, I would cut them away a little further - more like the inspiration photo.
The stripes are made by sewing navy bands on top of the white skirt. I made pressing templates from file folders for each stripe. I really wanted the edges to be perfectly straight and even all the way around. The skirt pieces are rectangles, so that made the stripe placement easier.
The bottom stripe is applied like a facing turned to the right side, hemming the bottom. The dress is fully lined with white broadcloth.
I might still add some sort of bow to the band at the waist, but for now she’s been wearing it with the sweater and I think more embellishment might get in the way.