Saturday, February 9, 2013

Shirts for the Boy

My son has been in need of some more long-sleeved shirts for a few weeks. His patience was rewarded a couple of weeks ago with two new shirts, both from Ottobre patterns.

The first was this collared polo shirt, #20 from the 4/2012 issue.

Polo Shirt: Ottobre 4/2012 #20

The striped fabric is a nice pique knit. It has a good weight but a good amount of stretch, too. I'm happy with how the stripes match across the body and sleeves.

Polo Shirt: Ottobre 4/2012 #20

The instructions for the placket were beyond puzzling to me. I should have just ignored the pattern pieces and instructions and used the same method I do for sleeve plackets. In the end, it looks okay from the outside, but the inside leaves much to be desired. The collar and stand is cut in one piece - not my usual preference, but I thought I'd give it a chance here and I'm happy with it. I stitched along the fold line and pressed along it well to help keep it in place.

The second is a long-sleeved T-shirt with some sleeve details, Ottobre 1/2010 #24. The fabric is leftover from this dress project.

Long-Sleeved T: Ottobre 1/2010 #24

Instead of cutting a separate panel for the center of the sleeves, I just added the solid piece on top. The instructions for the pocket were good and it was easy to construct. I like the interest that it adds.

Long-Sleeved T: Ottobre 1/2010 #24

I opted for a snap closure rather than Velcro as suggested. I find Velcro to be a laundry menace. The girls' tights always seem to get the worst of it...

3 comments:

  1. Those are two amazing shirts for you son. Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What handsome shirts for your boy. I love the pockets on the sleeves. Great job!

    ReplyDelete