A plain black skirt. So basic, yet I didn't have one. I needed to change that. After making these pants (which are refinished and wonderful to wear, BTW) I had just enough fabric left to eek out a simple skirt. Given the fabric constraints, I didn't have a lot of options for styles or details, but I wanted to create a little interest somehow.
I started with McCall's 3830, a pattern that I've used many times before and have tweaked to fit me. For this version, I sliced and manipulated the pattern to add a yoke at the top and a seam down the skirt's center front. The back darts are incorporated into the yoke piece.
The additional seams are accented with topstitching on each side. I used the triple straight stitch so that it would be more noticeable on the black fabric.
The addition of the seams and stitching is nice, but the really interesting part of the skirt is the lining (also leftover from these pants).
The facing pieces are sewn on top of the lining pieces and then attached as one to the skirt at the waist. The facing edge is bound and I love the professional finish that gives. I attach the lining to the invisible zipper by machine and get a nice finish at the top edges using this method.
I'm happy to have this basic piece in my closet and since it was made with leftovers, it feels like a total bonus/freebie!