My sister had her second baby a few months ago. She asked me if I'd make her a not-so-diaper-baggish diaper bag. I was willing to give it a shot and suggested she decide what her ideals were for size, shape, pockets, etc. She found an inspiration picture, we talked pockets, she bought fabric and then I got to work.
The printed fabric makes it a little hard to discern any details, but there is a band at the top and then pleats at the top of the main part of the bag. It's been a few weeks now since I made it, so I'm having a hard time remembering the exact size. It's big enough to tote around all the baby essentials, but small enough to not be overly cumbersome. The extra long adjustable strap allows it to be worn over one shoulder or across the body.
The red lining was a really nice touch and I think it will make it easy to find things inside. There are pockets all along both sides. One side has three elasticated ones - for holding bottles or other similar things. The other side has plain slip pockets, one of which is a pen slot (by special request). There is also a key fob in the seam between the band and the lower bag piece.
Most of the tote bags I've made have boxed corners. This time I did a set-in bottom. It made the pocket placement a little easier and it made it easier to make the bottom firmer. The outer fabric and lining are both decorator fabrics, so they're on the heavyweight side. I added a layer of upholstery fabric to the whole thing as interfacing as well. I was really pleased with the finished heft. The bag stood up by itself, but didn't have a stiff feel.
It was fun working on a project with my sister. I usually think I prefer my own choices and plans when it comes to sewing, but working from someone else's idea with their fabric choices has often been a really exciting challenge.