Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Simple Summer Stuff (Part 2)

Ruffled Top and Shorts

For the top, I used Kwik Sew 2918 (heavily modified). I was inspired by this top. Or was it this one? Hard to remember...

The jersey fabric was dirt cheap when I picked it up a couple of years ago. I intended to use it for muslins because I wasn't so sure I liked the color. It did serve the muslin purpose well a couple of times, but I recently noticed that it matched this quilting cotton that I had in my stash and an outfit possibility was born.

Ruffled Top

The shorts are New Look 6884, again lengthened to meet school dress code approval.

Next Up: Simple Summer Stuff, Part 3 (of 3. For now...)

Monday, May 30, 2011

Simple Summer Stuff (Part 1)

I'm going to resist the urge to use my sewing blog to whine about not sewing. Let's just say that I'd have more to say on a yard work blog than a sewing blog these days.

Driven out of necessity, I have made a few very simple things for my daughter. She needed tops and shorts and even though I tried to get it taken care of quickly by buying things, RTW (ready-to-wear) clothes just doesn't fit her well. Shorts that fit in the waist are way too short to wear to school.

Stash fabrics and TNT (tried-and-true) patterns to the rescue! I used Burda 9549 for the top and New Look 6884 (with added length to meet school dress code) for the shorts. I do love seersucker in the summer!

Ice Cream Cone Top and Shorts

The ice cream cone applique came from a clip art search. Pretty easy to do, but adds some interest.

Ice Cream Cone Applique

Next up: Part 2 of Simple Summer Stuff

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ottobre 1-2011-18 Denim Skirt

The Ottobre adventures continue! It has been fun to have a few issues at hand when planning warm weather wardrobes for my kids. This latest project comes from the spring 2011 issue - a flippy, ruffled skirt.

Ottobre 1/2011 Denim Skirt

The plan was to use the remainder of the striped fabric from these dresses to make the ruffles on the skirt. I made a very valid attempt, but those stripes drove me absolutely batty. First I cut the pieces out without placing them on the fold, so they weren't long enough. Then, I tried to cut out two more, figuring I would just have seams at center front and back. But, I cut them the wrong direction and no matter how I turned those rectangles, I could not get them to work together. Since I wanted them to match all along one tier, but be the opposite of the other tier, it made it more complicated than my brain could handle.

In the end, I bought more fabric and still have a seam at CF of the top tier and CB of the bottom one. They don't really show up in the pictures, but they are there.

Ottobre 1/2011 Denim Skirt

I put buttonhole elastic in the waistband to make it adjustable - mostly to increase the potential of it fitting my (not quite as thin) younger daughter as a hand-me-down. The waistband is wider than the average jeans waistband and the belt loops don't reach the top of it. I like how it looks in the flat pictures above, but I think it looks a little awkward on the body. Perhaps wearing a belt with it would take care of that. I'm not too concerned since my daughter doesn't like to wear it with a tucked-in top.

Ottobre 1/2011 Denim Skirt

The top is Burda 9549, used previously here and here. The fabric is leftover from these cardigans.

Ottobre 1/2011 Denim Skirt

I wasn't so sure about the skirt when it was nearly finished. I burst out laughing when my daughter tried it on. It just seemed a little over the top and proportionally odd. But, she loved it and after doing the rest of the finishing work, I'm more happy with it. Apparently, it's more of a wiggling skirt than a twirling one. She can't seem to stop herself from shaking her little bum back and forth when she puts it on. :)

Ottobre 1/2011 Denim Skirt