Monday, August 15, 2011

Burda 4-2009-122 - Swimsuit Cover-up

When I bought the navy fabric for my swimsuit, I also picked up a blue and white polka-dot print gauzy fabric with a cover-up in mind. Sheer, gauzy type fabrics aren't my favorite to sew, but this one seemed fairly stable and I wasn't planning on a complicated garment.

I decided to use a top from a Burda magazine (I don't subscribe, but have picked up a couple when I've had the chance) that would be simple and easy. To make it actually cover up what I wanted it to, I added several inches in length.

Swimsuit cover-up

The pattern is featured on the front cover and it looks like it is being worn as a swimsuit cover up or over some other top.

Burda 4/2009

But, the picture of the same top inside the magazine looks different. There doesn't appear to be any swimsuit or other top involved. The caption/description for the photo cracked me up. "...Our styling tip: to complete your dream outfit, tie a large scarf around your hips and add an exotic belt." Riiiiight. A top with a neckline plunging down to my xiphoid process and a scarf worn as a skirt makes not only a perfectly acceptable outfit, but my dream outfit.

Burda 4/2009

Ah, well. The pattern's good. I'll pass on the styling tip.

4 comments:

  1. Your fabric and pattern choice are perfect for a cover up....a comfy bathing suit plus a stylish cover up...I can see this being a dream outfit to wear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tankini and this cover up will look smashing together. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Burda... I don't know which is crazier- their necklines or their styling tips. But your cover-up looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both your swimsuit and cover-up are absolutely great!!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete