Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Sweater Meets Its Match

I knit this sweater for my daughter more than three years ago. It was just a wee bit big for her at the time. Finally, it fits. Mostly. Overall, it is not a great fit - too wide everywhere. But, if I wait until the width is right, the length will be far too short. That's the story for everything I make this girl - start with a small size and add a whole lot of length. I'm not adept at altering knitting patterns yet (and was really clueless three years ago).

Sweater, skirt and top

So why have her wear it if it isn't a great fit? Because I can't let a hand-knit sweater just go without wearing! Maybe that's crazy. But that's me. I actually think it looks better on her than it does in the picture, but still not great.

Top and skirt

To make it wearable, my daughter needed some coordinating clothes. She initially requested a jumper to wear with it, but I didn't find any fabric that I liked for a jumper. Instead, we went with a peasant-style skirt and surplice top.

The skirt is the Can-Can Skirt without the ruffles. You can't see it in the picture, but the very top tier (with elastic) is the same fabric as the bottom tier.

Surplice Top

The top is a modification of Kwik Sew 2918. The edges are finished with bias binding.

Truthfully, I like the outfit better without the sweater, but at least there is an option for wearing it.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the sweater. The style looks like it was a very detailed pattern and you did a wonderful job. It fits her perfectly now and she could wear this with this skirt outfit or it would look just as great with jeans/pants and a t-shirt. The skirt and top look so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the outfit as well. You do a great job knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an adorable outfit. I really like the colors in the cottons and I think the sweater looks like it's a perfect match in every way.

    ReplyDelete