On a recent trip to the Salvation Army Thrift Store, I picked up a white linen skirt with a black print and some beading near the bottom. I thought it was cute and a good fit, but I didn't have a top to wear with it. To remedy that, I pulled out some black mystery knit fabric from the stash and Jalie 2788.
The fabric is very soft and drape-y, but also pretty thin, so sewing it wasn't always easy. The neckline, in particular, doesn't look all that great. I used clear elastic to stabilize it and I always have a difficult time getting that serged on neatly. I had the same problem with this version.
This was a total rush job and looks like it on close inspection. I wanted to wear it out for dinner with the Preacher and finished it about an hour before I had to pick up the babysitter. So, I guess I was successful, but the top isn't as nice as I would really like it to be. It's been awhile since I had a serious beat-the-clock sewing session and it'll probably be awhile before I try it again.