For this top, I went back to my well-loved Kwik Sew 2918. This is for my five-year-old daughter and I think I've got it modified to a place where I really like it for her - a good, feminine fit.
I started with size T3, took it in at the waist, added some length, and scooped out the neck.
I've made puffed sleeves for this pattern before, but they were always too long. This time I think they look much better.
The ruffles are 3/4" strips of fabric gathered with a single line of stitching using a long stitch length and high tension down the center of the strip. I just sewed them onto the shirt following the gathering stitches.
It took me awhile to decide on the ruffles. I was initially hoping for some fabric flowers for embellishment, but didn't really like anything that I tried. I'm happy with how the ruffles worked out.
One of the rejects was this knitted flower. I cut 1/2" strips of fabric and pulled them lengthwise so they stretched and curled. Then I treated the strips like yarn and knit with them.
Even though it didn't make the embellishment cut, it was too cute to just throw out, so I attached it to a hair elastic.
Below is another flower I knit, but didn't finish off. You can see better what the "yarn" looks like. Before I threw out all the scraps from this project, I did try cutting a 1/4" strip and stretching it out. I think that might work better. The 1/2" was too bulky for the needles I used, but I didn't want a big flower. Something to try another time....
Both flower patterns came from Nicki Epstein's Knitted Flowers, a really beautiful book.