Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kwik Sew 3169 - Aqua Paisley Top

Kwik Sew 3169 - pom pom trim top
  • One yard of wild paisley print fabric:  $4.00
  • One yard of pink pom-pom trim: $2.00
  • One Kwik Sew pattern: $8.00 (but already used once before, so that should at least be halved)
  • Three-quarters of a yard of elastic: $0.50
  • One very happy girl that thinks her mom is the best sew-er in the whole world (emphasis hers):  priceless

Kwik Sew 3169 - pom pom trim top

My daughter fell hard for the pom-pom trim that I used on these bags.  She really loved to touch it and dreamed of all sorts of ways it could be used.  I told her I would make her a shirt and include the pom-poms somehow and she picked out this fabric to use.

I sewed the pom-poms to the right side of the shirt and then added a faced hem, so that when it was turned, the pom-poms were sandwiched between the shirt and the facing.


I used this pattern (Kwik Sew 3169) before and liked how it turned out, but I decided to put the elastic in the long sleeves at the wrists instead of around the upper arm this time.  Since the pattern is designed with a seam around the upper arm, I had to make a new pattern piece, just splicing the upper and lower pieces together.  Other than the purely decorative ribbon bow at the neck, that was the only change I made.

Kwik Sew 3169 - pom pom trim top

My quilt top and backing are ready to go.  I just need to sandwich them and actually do the quilting.  "Just."  This is the hard part...I think, anyway.  I think I'll save it for a day when I have a longer stretch of sewing time.

6 comments:

  1. Too cute!! Those pompoms are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute top! I love the fabric and pom-poms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pom pom trim. I bet my daughters would love it to. The pattern looks good, too. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice of fabric and trim. I think I could enjoy sewing for a little girl - but sewing for boys is no fun at all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute. I love that paisley fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah this top is so adorable, I just love the fabric and pom poms. What a great combination and she made a perfect choice with this fabric,it's so bright and pretty:)

    ReplyDelete