A woman I know asked me to make these for her son who lives alone in a large, old, drafty farmhouse. It sounds like the heating bills can be a little tough to swallow. These will sit on the floor in front of the closed door to block any drafts that normally would come under the door.
They're just a tube of fabric, sewn closed at both ends. I wouldn't have picked this fabric, but that's what she gave me. It is some sort of knit fleece, with a fair bit of stretch. It was smooth on one side, but very fuzzy on the other. I wouldn't have picked white for something that sits on the floor, either, but it wasn't my call. I wanted to get rid of the stretch, so I underlined (that seems like a much too sophisticated word for this application, but I guess that is what I did) it with bleached muslin.
I haven't made this sort of thing before, so I did a little online research about them. My biggest question was what to fill it with. Some were just stuffed with polyfil, others used sand, kitty litter, beans or rice. I went with rice. I thought it would be most successful if it had some weight to it, but also could be molded a bit to fit tight against the bottom of the door. And I didn't want to it be expensive. I think it was a good choice. The second layer of fabric helped to keep it looking smooth.
One of these is really long - 75". It's for a set of double pocket doors like the one in the picture above, but bigger. The other is 39". I cut long rectangles, 8" wide by the length needed plus 2" for seam allowances. I sewed one end closed by machine when I sewed the long seam and sewed the other closed by hand after it was filled.
These had just been sitting on a chair in my sewing room, but the kids are having too much fun playing with these "snakes." I put them away because I'm afraid they're going to be all dirty before they get picked up and brought to their new home!