Friday, October 16, 2009

The Finish Line

This tunic and leggings is the last of the things I'm sewing for my older daughter's fall wardrobe.  I actually finished it a couple of weeks ago and my daughter has worn it twice, but each time I asked her if I could take a picture and she said, "Yes, but only one and you have to do it fast."  Well, okay then.  The odds of one quick picture turning out well weren't so good.  So, I photographed them without the daughter.



Generally, I consider this top unsuccessful.  Let's start with the fabric.  The white print is pretty lightweight interlock.  Someone gave this to me awhile back (I think the same time as this fabric).  I made pajamas out of it for my daughter a couple of years ago and had about a yard left.  I pulled it out of the stash to match some hand-me-down red leggings.  I was having a really hard time getting past the idea that it was pajama-ish, and knew that it would need to be made into more than a plain T-shirt, so I tried to copy a top that I had seen on another girl.  I didn't really hit the mark.  The blue fabric is a stretch jersey that I purchased to go with the print - very nice, but it was expensive.  The red fabric is a rib that I found way on the bottom of the clearance table for $1.50 (CND)/meter.  I was doing my best to match the red leggings I already had, but after seeing this red, I decided to just make new red leggings and send the already-made ones to school to stay as the just-in-case-of-accident pants.  At the cutting counter the clerk was surprised that it was $1.50 and commented that it probably wasn't really supposed to be that, but she happily gave me a generous cut at that price.


Now the bands on the top.  The blue parts are both too wide.  The horizontal one is too low.  The red trim is too wide - I wanted it to look more like piping, but the rib didn't want to cooperate.  The seams are bulky - thanks to the rib and don't want to stay turned the right way.  I don't really like the neckband, but by the time I got to that part, I knew I wasn't very excited about the top and didn't want to mess with it more than I had to.  I do like the buttons.

And even with all that, I think it looks like it should be pajamas.  The top is based on Kwik Sew 2918 and the leggings (which I do like and consider a success) are Burda 9615.

So, this is the way the fall wardrobe project ends - not with a bang, but a whimper.

4 comments:

  1. I like them! You are being too critical of the top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - you are being too critical... It's adorable! I bet your daughter looks really cute in that outfit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google reader recommended your blog, and I have been following you for a few weeks.
    I am nowhere near as accomplished as you are, but I find your blog so inspiring. I hate patterns and tend to abandon them, however I have had a lot of success with altering second hand items for myself and my daughters, sometimes making something completely different, and very nice looking. I love that you examine your own excellent work with a critical eye. It reminds me that even someone with a lot of experience still learns and that "glaring flaws" are sometimes not so apparent as I might think when examining my own mistakes (as others have assured me).

    Thanks,

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right up there with Martha and Nancy in my eyes. You are very creative with your stash, and putting things together. You've given me get ideas.
    Thanks
    Connie

    ReplyDelete