Skip to main content

McCall's 5859 - Summer Jacket

I thought this would be a quick fun little project. Turns out it neither quick nor fun. I'm still on the fence about the finished product. It might be growing on me.

Based on the measurements on the pattern envelope, I should have cut a size 12. After checking the finished garment measurements printed on the pattern tissue, I cut the muslin in size 10. After trying on the muslin, I cut out the real thing at a size 8. Ah, McCall's...gotta love the sizing issues with the Big 4.

The sizing issues were just the beginning. I planned to make the pattern just as illustrated. I liked the oversized collar and lapel and the wide neck opening. I did have some doubts about the sleeves and pockets, but sometimes I opt to take away too many details and end up with boring clothes. So, not trusting my judgement, I went ahead with the pockets and sleeves.

Bad decision. The high contrast between the white fabric and black piping meant that the pockets were just "too much." They competed with the collar. Off they came - of course after I had made them completely with darts, piping, lining, etc and carefully attached them invisibly.

Check out the sleeves in the pattern line drawing:


They are gathered at the top, have darts coming up from the bottom, piping around the hem and curve up into a V-shape in the middle. And "sleeves" probably isn't the right word for them - they don't go all the way around the arm.

And they look okay on the pattern model:

However, on me they looked like some hideous ruffled wing things. Even with pressing they insisted on staying at an awful up-and-out sort of angle. This, combined with the big collar and pockets, was really hard on the eyes.

Now when you have big things sticking out at your shoulders, it makes your waist look pretty itty-bitty. I could like that. It reminded me of Jane Jetson:

Unfortunately, the "sleeves" had the same effect on my head: it looked pretty itty-bitty too. Not a good look, so the sleeves came out and I looked for another pattern with sleeves that I could substitute. I found Butterick 4188. It has the same very short, half-sleeve, but without the gathers, darts, V-shape, etc that the McCall's one does. I had to do a bit of work changing the sleeve cap to get it to fit, but three different sleeve drafts later, I think it looks much better.

I think I should have made it a little longer. My waist is at the proper spot indicated on the pattern, but it just looks a little too "shrunken" to me. It seems I should have caught that at the muslin stage.
The fabric is from my stash. I bought it at least a couple of years ago. It is a stretch twill so I used a stretch cotton for the lining. I thought the stretch would make the jacket more comfortable, but since there aren't really sleeves, movement is pretty easy with or without stretch.

So, I'm glad this is done and I'll probably wear it, but I don't think it's destined to be a favorite.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the information on this pattern. I have it in my stack with fabric but I might start looking for another pattern. It does look really cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sometimes hard to like anything after you've had a struggle with it...but this jacket looks so gorgeous on you, and you look gorgeous in it! It looks very RTW and the proportions are perfect; you look dainty, tiny and delicate in it. Hopefully you'll come to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jacket looks so nice! I think it fits very well and the short length is very flattering on you. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to wearing a new look or proportion. Love the piping detail. It really brings attention to the collar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery Bags

More gifts! These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric.  I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box. Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag.... 1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide. 2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag. 3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out. Happy shopping!

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me. I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year. The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full. Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of

The Burda Skirt Again

I'm not sure what prompted it, but awhile ago I decided that I needed a green skirt. The last time I was at Fabricland I saw this green wide-wale corduroy. I wasn't really looking for the skirt to be corduroy and the color was a little different than I was hoping for, but since I had my eyes peeled for awhile and hadn't seen anything better, I thought I'd try the corduroy. After looking for a suitable pattern, I settled on the Burda 2/2010 skirt that I've already used three times . Because of the weight and bulk of the corduroy, I didn't want to try to mess with too many details. I'll use another skirt pattern soon. Really, I will. One of the things I really like about this pattern is the pockets. This time I made the pocket facings and part of the pocket bag out of a cotton woven solid to reduce bulk. Since I'll be wearing this skirt with tights I added a lining. Adding the lining was really simple except that I cut the lining exactly the sam