Skip to main content

T-shirt Dress

I did indeed find time to work on the dress for my younger daughter. It was done mostly in 10-20 minute bits of time throughout the day. My sewing room is centrally located in the house and it's easy for me to do that sort of thing. Certainly, I would prefer a larger chunk of time to work, but I'll take what I can get.

The dress is a version of Kwik Sew 2918. The bodice is cut off about three inches below the armhole. A large rectangle gathered at one long edge and hemmed at the other long edge makes the skirt. I initially bound the neckline but it didn't look good, so I took it off and put on a narrow neckband instead. The puffed sleeves are bound at the bottom.

The bloomers are Butterick 3782. Instead of making a casing for the waist and leg elastic, I serged the elastic to the wrong side, turned it down to the inside so that the elastic was covered and then sewed it down with a triple zigzag stitch. The gathers stay evenly distributed this way and the elastic can't twist up.

I also used this fabric to make a T-shirt for my other daughter. This dress and bloomers used up the rest of it.

I was hoping to get a dress for my older daughter cut out tonight, but the kids weren't particularly interested in going to bed easily. Starting it now wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe tomorrow...


  1. Oh this is SO cute !'s so much fun to change a pattern, and you did a super job!

  2. Enjoying your blog. I'm a beginner at sewing and knitting, so you are an inspiration. Keep up the great work.

    Oh, and I love your "blessings" tags. Such a sweet reminder of the Lord's goodness (HE was the first garment designer anyway, right?)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me.

I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year.

The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full.

Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of the handl…

Grocery Bags

More gifts!

These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric. 

I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box.

Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag....

1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide.

2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag.

3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out.

Happy shopping!

Christmas Table Runner

S asked me to make a Christmas table runner for her shop. Her only suggestions about what it should look like were "not too fussy or busy."

I decided on a simple applique of three trees on a linen background. The runner is 60" long and 13" wide.

For the trees, I used a lightweight fusible product and then straight-stitched around the edges. I like the raw-edge applique look, but don't use it very often.

The border and backing is an apple green color that didn't photograph well. I was happy with the mitered corners, but they don't look so good (a little lumpy) in the pictures. I do really like the narrow folded border inside the green one. I only had a small amount of the striped fabric, but think this was a good way to use it.

I was so happy with this when I finished it a couple of weeks ago, but now that I'm looking at the pictures, I'm less than thrilled. I'm really hoping that it is just the pictures, but it looks wrinkly and rumpled to me…