Skip to main content

Thinking Pink

More fru-fru dancing clothes for my daughter…

The shirt is made from Kwik Sew 2918, yet again. To add the gathers at center front (CF), I slashed the neckline down into the bodice in three places close to the CF. I spread these apart while keeping the CF on the straight grain. I slashed in the side seam under the armhole and overlapped the pattern to release the bubble made from spreading at the neckline. This is essentially moving a dart, but this pattern doesn’t have any darts (or need any) to start with. Overlapping at the side seam shortened the seam, so I added that back in at the bottom. The neckline is finished with a binding.
I also slashed and spread the sleeve pattern in three places from top to bottom to change the basic sleeve into a gathered, puffed sleeve. If I do this again, I think I would add more into the sleeve. It really doesn’t “puff” all that much. But, this fabric is pretty lightweight and for something with more body the amount I added would probably be sufficient. The sleeves are also finished with a binding.
The original plan was just to hem the shirt, but when she tried it on with the skirt, I didn’t think a plain hem would really look very good. It probably would if she kept her tops tucked in, but that doesn’t usually last more than a few minutes. So, I “borrowed” this look from one of her other shirts. I turned up two inches, made a casing and inserted ¼” elastic in it. She likes it – by her way of thinking, there’s always room for one more ruffle.
The skirt is just two rectangles. The top one is two inches bigger in circumference than my daughter’s waist. The lower one is 1.5 times that measurement. Surprisingly (for me), I didn’t write the actual numbers down, I just calculated and cut. I pictured the trim between the yoke and the skirt being turned up toward the yoke, but with the bulky gathers, the seam allowance turns up and the trim turns down.


This time I did have enough fabric to make shorts. I thought it would be best to attach the shorts to the skirt before making the casing so that essentially they are one piece, but for some reason my daughter really didn’t like that idea. She’s not so worried about bulk around the waist yet, I guess. I used Burda 9615 for these shorts – a great, simple pattern with no side seams. I’ve only made the shorts, but the leggings look great too.

For all the pink sewing that I do, I don’t have any pink cone thread for my serger. I should probably fix that. But, I’m trying to stay away from the fabric store. I spent my allowance for the next couple of years in NY. All of this fabric and trim I bought in NY. (The shirt and skirt are actually a better match than the picture represents).



Comments

  1. Very cute outfit for your dd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit! I am going to have to get burda 9615 because so often I want leggings or shorts for my dd's skirts! The skirt fabric and style looks totally rtw! The shirt is really cute too with the gathers and elastic at the waist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me.

I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year.


The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full.


Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of the handl…

Grocery Bags

More gifts!



These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric. 



I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box.

Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag....

1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide.



2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag.



3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out.









Happy shopping!

Christmas Table Runner

S asked me to make a Christmas table runner for her shop. Her only suggestions about what it should look like were "not too fussy or busy."

I decided on a simple applique of three trees on a linen background. The runner is 60" long and 13" wide.


For the trees, I used a lightweight fusible product and then straight-stitched around the edges. I like the raw-edge applique look, but don't use it very often.


The border and backing is an apple green color that didn't photograph well. I was happy with the mitered corners, but they don't look so good (a little lumpy) in the pictures. I do really like the narrow folded border inside the green one. I only had a small amount of the striped fabric, but think this was a good way to use it.



I was so happy with this when I finished it a couple of weeks ago, but now that I'm looking at the pictures, I'm less than thrilled. I'm really hoping that it is just the pictures, but it looks wrinkly and rumpled to me…