Skip to main content

Project Runway Canada

On Saturday night I debated about whether to spend the evening sewing or watch Project Runway Canada and knit. I'm not a big TV watcher and rarely sit to watch TV in the evening. But, I really like Project Runway, so I opted for that. I'm glad I did. What a great show. I haven't caught every episode, but I wish I have. This last challenge was to dress a female business executive. As the deadline was approaching, they were thrown an additional challenge: design some (coordinating) lingerie. Wow! Some of the designers had not done either of these things ever before. And the models were sent to shop for the materials to make the lingerie! Sewing lingerie with fabric and lace someone else with no sewing knowledge picked out? Eeek!

Each episode I find myself amazed at both the things the designers can do and the things they cannot do. Always, I'm amazed at what they can do in a short amount of time. Granted, sometimes their final product is finished really poorly - as in glued together, sewn on the model, etc. And I am amazed at their ability to design original garments. That is fascinating to me. But some of the things they struggle with are really surprising to me. Setting in a sleeve, cutting a pencil skirt on the straight grain, and basic construction skills are all things I've seen them struggle with. I find myself thinking, "Hey, even I can do that!"

But, I am one who sews. Allow me to digress a moment....I'm still not sure what to call myself - a sewer? That is easily misread as a place for wastewater and other unpleasantries. A seamstress? Seems like an outdated term to me. A sewing enthusiast? I have a hard time using that seriously, particularly in speech. So for now, I am one who sews and that is different than one who designs. I don't have a very good eye for design. I shamelessly copy things that I see and like. I'm not creative and rarely come up with anything original.

I did some minor designing today. I changed a T-shirt pattern into a dress for my daughter. I think I really like the construction process but not so much the creative process. I'm not sure how I feel about the end result of the dress. About halfway through the project I was pretty sure it was going to be a wadder. Now I think it might be okay, but I need to see it on first. We'll see what the lucky little girl thinks when she sees it tomorrow. She tends to have strong opinions and I'll know exactly what she thinks of it.
Sewing spring clothing seemed much less urgent today. Some snow accumulated overnight and just kept coming all day. It felt more like January than April. More of the same tomorrow. Ugh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery Bags

More gifts! These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric.  I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box. Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag.... 1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide. 2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag. 3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out. Happy shopping!

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me. I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year. The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full. Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of

The Burda Skirt Again

I'm not sure what prompted it, but awhile ago I decided that I needed a green skirt. The last time I was at Fabricland I saw this green wide-wale corduroy. I wasn't really looking for the skirt to be corduroy and the color was a little different than I was hoping for, but since I had my eyes peeled for awhile and hadn't seen anything better, I thought I'd try the corduroy. After looking for a suitable pattern, I settled on the Burda 2/2010 skirt that I've already used three times . Because of the weight and bulk of the corduroy, I didn't want to try to mess with too many details. I'll use another skirt pattern soon. Really, I will. One of the things I really like about this pattern is the pockets. This time I made the pocket facings and part of the pocket bag out of a cotton woven solid to reduce bulk. Since I'll be wearing this skirt with tights I added a lining. Adding the lining was really simple except that I cut the lining exactly the sam