Skip to main content

In the Beginning...

This jacket might take me awhile. I’m going to use Vogue 8480. I started playing around with making bound buttonholes. I found a good method in Threads #95.

You make a faced window with organza (or a lining fabric). They recommend stitching over graph paper – this works really well for getting all the buttonholes the same size. I printed some with very small squares – 4/cm from here. Clip, turn the facing and then fuse the buttonhole lips in place with a bit of fusible web on the back side to hold them in place while you sew them down.

So easy and looks good. I’m excited. The method allows for different looking buttonholes (like the one in the middle) but I think I’ll just stick with the traditional one on the right.

This is how the article recommends finishing the back. Pretty simple – cut a slit, fold back the edges and stitch it down by hand. I did this one after removing the basting threads holding the buttonhole lips together. It would be much easier if they were still basted together.

The pattern does not include a lining, but I’m going to add one. Cutting out a muslin for the jacket is next. I think that the rest of my life might get in the way of sewing this week. It’s looking busy….


  1. Thanks for the tip about the graph paper. Your buttonholes look great.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me.

I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year.

The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full.

Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of the handl…

Grocery Bags

More gifts!

These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric. 

I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box.

Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag....

1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide.

2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag.

3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out.

Happy shopping!

Christmas Table Runner

S asked me to make a Christmas table runner for her shop. Her only suggestions about what it should look like were "not too fussy or busy."

I decided on a simple applique of three trees on a linen background. The runner is 60" long and 13" wide.

For the trees, I used a lightweight fusible product and then straight-stitched around the edges. I like the raw-edge applique look, but don't use it very often.

The border and backing is an apple green color that didn't photograph well. I was happy with the mitered corners, but they don't look so good (a little lumpy) in the pictures. I do really like the narrow folded border inside the green one. I only had a small amount of the striped fabric, but think this was a good way to use it.

I was so happy with this when I finished it a couple of weeks ago, but now that I'm looking at the pictures, I'm less than thrilled. I'm really hoping that it is just the pictures, but it looks wrinkly and rumpled to me…