Monday, September 22, 2014

Ottobre 4/2011 #38 - Rust Corduroy Pants

It happens every September. You'd think I would catch on. The air feels especially chilly on a Sunday morning and my kids still only have their summer clothes for church. Find some tights! Do you have a decent looking sweater? Put a shirt under that! And off we go, looking kind of patched together. Seriously, every year. That was last week Sunday. So, last week I was busy getting some dressier clothes together. I started with my son because I find his clothes takes longer to make. It's easier to squeeze in the faster dresses at the eleventh hour.

I always have success with Ottobre patterns for my son, so that's where I started. This is pattern #38 from issue 4/2011. They are called "Algebra corduroys." Ottobre pattern names are always interesting. I like the narrow legs, the curved yoke and the angled pockets on the front.


They are a bit rumpled from being folded up waiting for their shirt partner.


All of the topstitching is done in tan thread. I copied the rear pocket top-stitching from the pattern.


The waistband turned out to be a little too big, so I added some elastic to the back half. The inner waistband edge is bound with tan bias tape, matching the zipper and stitching. My kids don't like buttons on their pants. Snaps are still their preference, but we've been burned by snaps before. I have yet to find some that are both heavy duty enough for pants and work well consistently. I hate getting all the sewing work done and then ending up with a bum snap. Grrr.


So, for these pants we put in a hook and bar closure. He's had this on other pants and it works fine for him - both fast and secure. The button on the front is just decorative.


My son is the most tactile-aware of my kids. He loves soft, fuzzy clothes. He really likes these pants, even though he said he would prefer that the soft part be on the inside. :)

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Mega Gift Card Wallet

A few years ago I made these little wallets for the gift cards that I used regularly. The new school my kids attend participates in the same program, but it is much bigger here. That little wallet I had wasn't cutting it anymore. Some searching on Pinterest (it'll cure what ails you every time) led me to this tutorial for a pretty large gift card wallet. Mega even! I thought this might be more than I really needed, but I liked the concept of it.


I had been playing around with this braided-look patchwork and decided to incorporate it in this project. I backed the exterior wallet piece with upholstery fabric to give it some extra heft.


You can see some smudges on the back part. I've been using this for a couple of weeks already and can say that I'm really pleased with it. It is indeed more than I need, but I like having the space to keep everything sorted and also keep the loyalty/coupon cards with the gift cards.



And the last page with room for growth!

The tutorial includes instructions for a velcro tab closure. I used this elastic and a button that I had. Not sure that it's an improvement over velcro, but it's working well for me.

I know it takes a lot of time to create these tutorials and I've benefited from many of them. I'm thankful for people that are generous with their time and ideas!